The Town of Winthrop is undertaking preparations to protect the public health and safety of its residents as the Novel Coronavirus 19 (COVID-19) begins to increase its impact across Maine. The Safety Committee and members of the School Department are working in concert to regularly monitor and respond to the developing situation.
While the town has not declared an emergency, officials are taking proactive steps to ensure the appropriate response can be implemented as needed, in accordance with the town’s Emergency Operations Plan.
Some of the immediate actions being taken to minimize COVID-19 exposure to residents include:
- Cancellation/postponement of non-essential programming for the school district. This is in effect Friday March 13, 2020 until April 6, 2020 and may be extended. Updates are posted on the school’s website: www.winthropschools.org.
- Cancellation/postponement of all activities that involve gatherings and related preparations and practices for the Winthrop YMCA. This is in effect Friday March 13 until further notice and includes the March Madness Tournament.
- Cancellation/postponement of all programming at the Bailey Library. This is in effect Monday March 16, 2020 until April 6, 2020 and may be extended. Updates are posted on the library’s website: www.baileylibrary.org.
- Non-essential meetings hosted at the Town Office or Bailey Library by outside organizations need to be rescheduled and/or held in alternative locations to be arranged by the organization.
- Town Office business (Clerk, Assessing, Codes, General Assistance, etc.) will be conducted in the Main Office or Small Conference Room. Non-staff members will not be permitted into the office areas beyond the multi-purpose room.
- Enhanced cleaning techniques are being utilized throughout school and municipal offices and classrooms.
Scheduled town business meetings (Council, Planning Board, Zoning Board of Appeals, etc.,) will be held as scheduled. The EMS, Police, Fire, and Dispatch departments are well-supplied to ensure they can carry-out their duties as safely as possible and in accordance with guidelines from Maine CDC and Maine Emergency Management Agency.
Members of the Winthrop community can sign-up to receive updates on the new town website (www.winthropmaine.org) under the section marked “Winthrop Alerts.” This new email notification system to provide updates as they are available, as well as on the Town’s Facebook page and those of the emergency departments (EMS/Ambulance, Police, Fire).
Questions for school-related activities and polices should be directed to Superintendent Dr. Cornelia Brown: 377-2296 x2001.
Questions for municipal-related activities should be directed to Town Manager Jeffrey Kobrock, 207.377.7200 ext 423.
The town advises everyone to follow the guidelines for hand washing, social distancing, and cleaning, per the Maine CDC’s website: